How do you get Chlamydia?
Chlamydia is transmitted via infected secretions (bodily fluids). It’s mainly spread through unprotected (no condom) anal sex, vaginal sex or oral sex. (1) It’s mainly transmitted by heterosexual or male homosexual contact. (2)
It’s important to remember…
- Infected secretions, from the genitals onto the hands can infect your eyes 6.
- Sharing of sex toys such as vibrators can also transmit the infection.
- It’s always a good idea to use condoms on all sex toys and essential to change the condom for each new user.
- Sex toys should always be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected between use.
- When using condoms it’s important to make sure you do not get secretions on your hands before putting the condom on. Bacteria on the outside of the condom can then infect you.
- Chlamydia may be passed from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby during delivery, resulting in neo-natal eye infection, pneumonia or other complications. (3)